Wednesday 2 August 2023

Lord Widdrington's Regiment of Foote

So I finally got the second Royalist infantry unit completed. I've decided to model my force around the Royalist army of the North under the Maquis of Newcastle. Why you may ask, well because I'm a northerner and many of the regiments were raised from Northumberland and the surrounding counties. I've also obtained the order of battle for Marston Moor which gives plenty of details of the regiments, though many were small and would have been grouped together to form larger units. The estimate is around 7 infantry units.

So after the Maquis' own regiment I went for the Lord Widdrington's regiment. Widdrington is a village 10 miles or so north of where I live. The only uniform details I have are 'unknown', same with the flag so plenty of opportunity to paint them how I like. So I went with White coats with a handful on each base in red coats to represent soodiers from another regiment, giving a nice ragged look. The flag is pure conjecture, picking yellow as the sheet of flags from Warlord games simply names it as a Royalist flag.



Quite happy with how they have turned out. It has also given me an idea for the other 2 units I need to do. I think I will stick with white coats and just add in a few men in a different colour, say 1 unit in green and 1 in blue. Will also help with the aura of the 'Whitecoats'. I am also awaiting a couple of orders for the mounted arm. Should give me 3 horse regiments, 1 Dragoon regiment, a couple of cannon and some commanded shotte. 

14 comments:

  1. Cool! I do not have this regiment in my army. In fact, never heard of it before now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, most literature seems to focus on other theatres in the war until Marston Moor, and then focuses on Newcastle regiments last stand

      Delete
  2. Excellent work Neil. Can't wait to see an army of these on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, it may be a while but it's a goal I'm working towards

      Delete
  3. They look good Scotty and I agree with your synopsis on general coverage of the ECW ....as far as "the North" (as opposed to Scotland) goes, Marston Moor is about it, albeit covered in quite a lot of detail....I have always thought its probably the pivitol battle of the war....a bit like El Alamein 300 years later....the beginning of the end for Charles I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a pivotal battle, along with Adwalton Moor which brought the Scots into the war

      Delete
  4. Nicely done Neil you are cracking on with the project, I need to get one of the regiment I have done as a test ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, the infantry are decent figures

      Delete
  5. A fine looking unit. looks like you have 40 pikes and 40 shot per unit? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep 80 figures a unit, don't actually take as long to paint as I thought they would

      Delete