Friday 18 August 2023

Richard Kirkbride's Regiment of foote and a 'project too far'

Finally managed to get the 5th Regiment of foote completed that I need for Newcastle's Royalist army of the north. This time I picked out Richard Kirkbride's regiment which was raised in Durham. In all likelihood most of Newcastle's regiments would have been combined into larger formations. In a slight change I went with a darker grey coat, both the coat and flag are pure conjecture. I just went with what I liked, hence the addition of the blue flag.



So just 2 more foote regiments to go. For the horse I have decided to change the number of figures down to 4 instead of 5, the commitment to a new project has forced this to help reduce the required number of horse figures by around 120.

So new project, well a re-fight of Marston Moor. The aim is to get everything done in time for the Border Reiver show in 2024. I managed to persuade myself and Mitch into the mammoth undertaking. We do have 1 other club member who has so far committed to do 5 regiments of foot for Ruperts' army. For myself I need to complete Newcastle's army and the Northern Association. This works out at 11 foot regiments, 31 cavalry regiments and a handful of dragoons and commanded shotte. Mitch has committed to the Eastern Association and the bulk of Rupert's army. This just leaves the Covenanters, not helped by the fact that Warlord is yet to produce any in epic scale. We have found some free STLs that will give us the bulk of the cavalry and musketeers. The main issue is the pikes are too brittle in resin, we may have to either proxy the current warlord pike or source some suitable small 15mm metal pikemen. Below is a full list of what we need.

Horse66
Dragoons8
Dis. Dragoons8
Foot39
Cmd. Shotte6
Artillery6
Comanders18

For the larger infantry units on each side I have added bases of commanded shotte to represent their higher strength, these are then paired up to form the regiments listed above. This works out at nearly 3,500 foot and 600 mounted figures. At least we don't need much scenery apart from a handful of buildings and some hedges. 

Wish me luck.

19 comments:

  1. Excellent looking new addition to the project. Marston Moor is an impressive battle to target especially when needing about 4,000 figures. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, I'm going to need plenty of luck

      Delete
    2. My buddy (http://dartfrog06mm.blogspot.com/) recently embarked upon a TYW using these figures. Having just put in an order for
      Peter Pig cavalry, he will be testing to see if Peter Pig cavalry work as a replacement for the Warlord horse.

      Delete
    3. I've picked up some of the Peter Pig cavalry and they are a great match

      Delete
  2. Excellent looking unit….a quite an ambitious target, I’m looking forward to seeing it though. Are you attending Border Reivers this year ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, I am hopeful of attending, was supposed to be in London but looks like the Rail strike has put an end to that

      Delete
    2. We are likely to come across so might be nice to catch up if you are about 👍

      Delete
  3. Great stuff Scotty - Marston Moor is one of, if not my, favourite ECW Battle - probably because of the significant Scottish involvement! I would like to refight it one day too, so look forward to following your progress! If Peter Pig work ok with Epic, cant you just use their Covenanter Range (I assume they have one?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll be fine for cavalry. The issue is the Warlord infantry is on a strip and not compatible sizewise

      Delete
  4. Impressive Neil, as always. Re pikes, can I suggest you buy a cheap brush head, bash the ends of the plastic strands and cut them into points, they make very effective pikes and because they are pliable they dont snap.

    ReplyDelete