Thursday 22 December 2016


Despite progress slowing due to the festive period I finally managed to complete another 2 battalions of Danish infantry. These represent the Grenaderkorps. A rather striking regiment in their red coats compared to the various greys of most of the regiments. The figures are all from the Dixon range, flags from Maverick Models.

This brings the strength of my Danish infantry up to 8 battalions. I've got enough figures to complete a further 6 battalions and then I can start to add some horse regiments.

Saturday 17 December 2016

The Battle of Klissow part 2.

With the Swedish infantry advancing on both flanks,  the Saxon Artillery began to find its mark, especially against the Swedish left.

Eventually the Swedish guards crossed the stream and hit the Saxon line, sending one of the guard battalions back in disorder. There then ensued a protracted fight between the Swedish and Saxon infantry. The Swedes had the better of the early exchanges but the Saxons led by their guards managed to steady the line.

With the Saxon right wing also under severe pressure and their cavalry scattered saw the Saxon left wing detach 6 squadrons to try and support it.

At this point the Saxons had managed to shore up both of their threatened wings. The Swedish infantry were also looking very worn due to their exertions. At this point we called it a day. Neither side was in any position to force a result without a risk to losing their army.

I was happy with how the rules held up for their first major engagement. Mick in particular found they had reflected the fighting style of the Swedes. I need to make some minor adjustments to cavalry against pike armed infantry as this was one area which just didn't feel quite right.

The Battle of Klissow part 1.

On Tuesday I had the good fortune to pop up to Micks to re fight the battle of Klissow, fought in 1702 during the Great Northern War. It pitted the Swedes under Charles XII against Augustus Elector of Saxony and King of Poland.

It was a chance for Mick to try out the rule modifications that I had made to the basic rules. We agreed not to field the Poles as I am still working on these and they made little impact on the day. For army lists we use those as described in the Nafziger lists.

The game began with the Swedes advancing against the Saxon line. The 2 wings of Saxon cavalry responded and moved to counter the Swedish attack.

The Saxon first line of cavalry on the left wing crossed  the stream and engaged the Swedish Horse. The extra quality of the Swedish Horse drove back the first line. A stale mate ensued with the Saxon 2nd line unwilling to cross the stream and the Swedes waiting their infantry as they had insufficient strength to engage the Saxon cavalry.

Over on the Saxon right wing, the cavalry advanced against the Swedish Horse.  The first line got very badly mauled and fled before the enemy. The second line tried to stem the tide but we're also overwhelmed.

Now the Swedish infantry began to arrive on the flanks of the Saxon infantry line. Taking advantage of the success of their cavalry.

Sunday 4 December 2016


I finally managed to get these 2 battalions finished for my Danes. They are to represent the Sjaellandske regiment. The figures are a mix of Warrior and Dixon. The flags are from Maverick Models. I also added a mounted Brigadier from Bluemoon.

I've now got 2 battalions for the Grenaderkorps on the painting table, however I seem to be struggling to find the energy to complete them. Might need to paint something in a different scale and period.