Tuesday 29 August 2023

More Northern Horse

With the Infantry completed, I need to push on and get the cavalry completed for Newcastle's army. So with the last of my available cavalry figures, 3 more regiments of the Northern Horse completed, there is also an extra brigadier done from Peter Pig. All the figures are a mix of Peter Pig, Warlord, Alternative Armies and Steelfist. They mix well together.


Mix of Alternative armies and Steelfist

Alternative armies and Warlord

Warlord and Peter Pig

With these done just another 6 regiments to complete the Northern Horse. Mitch has approximately 60 of the Warlord plastic figures that he doesn't want, so I plan to take them off his hands. I only need 48 for the Royalists and 120 for the Parlaimentarians, so will make a decent dent in my requirements. I'll also pick up a few packs from Peter Pig, Alternative armies and Steelfist to mix in.

So the Northern Horse so far at 10 regiments.




Looking over the battlefield for Marston Moor, it is apparent that the scenery is a little sparse, both villages are on the edges of the battlefield. There are some fields and roads edged by hedges. I have most of what I need, Mitch is going to print off a few buildings for the villages. The one thing we lack is hedges, now I could purchase some commercially available ones, but I'll need quite a bit. Alternatively I could make my own. So after watching a few videos on Youtube I came up with an idea using items I already had to hand. Using a coir mat, modelling sticks and a flock mix I've had for who knows how many years I set to work. They are still a work in progress. I will need to seal the flock before starting on the bases.


Hopefully I can make some more progress on these tomorrow, I do have 4 more started. After this I'll see how they look, I may still just purchase some commercial ones.

6 comments:

  1. Which is your favorite manufacturer of cavalry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the Steelfist figures, very characterful and great detail

      Delete
  2. The cavalry do look quite effective en masse Scotty, although the Warlord plastics aren't that great close up - as you have previously alluded to. The homemade hedges look pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete