Wednesday 26 November 2014

Quick painting update

Just to prove that I have started to paint some figures again I decided to take a couple of photos of some finished work. I've still got 2 infantry battalions that I need to finish the bases on before I post pictures of them. So first up is another Divisional Commander base for my French and Allies troops. The figures are both from Essex Miniatures.

Divisional Commander base
Side view
I also decided to go back to my Bruswickers' and try and round the force off. I've purchased some extra infantry figures to increase the size of the units from CGM and I also plumbed for Lancashire miniatures for a artillery battery. It has been a while since I've used Lancashire figures and I was pleasantly surprised.

Brunswick artillery
Brunswick artillery
Hopefully by the weekend I'll be able to post up pictures of the finished Austrian Grenadier battalion and a Duchy of Warsaw battalion.

Sunday 23 November 2014

It's been a month

I cannot believe that it has been a month since my last update. So what have I been doing. I've still been checking out everyone else blogs buts just haven't had the time to do any posting of my own. As for painting, I've only just managed to pick up a brush this week to finish off a couple of units that have sat half painted for well over a month. I blame this squarely on re basing figures for Darren and now John. Thankfully this is coming to an end, all that is left of Darren's french are 2 cavalry regiments, just waiting for some more bases. Then John decided to get in on the Napoleonic lark and decided to purchase some ready painted Spanish (just because we didn't have any). He has approximately a division now and yours truly was asked to re-base them.

On the gaming front we have been running a rather large Napoleonic game over the last 4 weeks. It has basically been if we have the troops lets use them. It all centered on a Westphalian division holding a ridge against a Prussian division. Both sides then being reinforced over the 2 days of fighting by large numbers of additional troops. Here are some photos to give you an idea of the game.

Westphalians awaiting the Prussians
The Prussians begin their attack
French light cavalry brigade arrives
Poles and Dutch move into position
The 1st British division arrives
More British arrive to support a Russian brigade
The battle lines
After this I forgot to take any photos of the game. It became an engrossing battle. After the first days battle both sides pulled back and re aligned before going at it for a second day. It was at this point that the marked superiority of numbers of allied infantry was to prove the winner. At one stage it was 42 battalions against 27, of which 9 were on the wrong side of a river and blocked by the Austrians.

It wasn't until after the game that I decided to do a quick reckoning of the available Napoleonic troops we had at the club.

French - 2 Corps
Westphalian - 1 Division
Polish - 1 infantry brigade
Dutch - 1 infantry brigade
British - 2 Divisions and a cavalry brigade
Brunswick - 1 Legion
Russians - 1 infantry brigade
Prussians - 1 Division
Spanish - 1 Division
Austrian - 1 Corps

Now Harry is talking about getting some Russians as these are the only remaining force from the main protagonists. When I finishing adding to my Austrians I have a hankering to paint up some more Dutc and possibly some Bavarians. Keep me going through the winter months.