Sunday 27 August 2023

Sir John Gerlington's regiment of foote

The final regiment for the Marquis of Newcastle's Royalist army of the North. This time I chose the regiment of Sir John Gerlington to represent one of the 7 divisions which Newcastle's foot formed for Marston Moor. There are no uniform or flag details for this regiment so this gave me a free hand on how they looked. 

I went for red coats as a bit of a change from white and grey. The red was done with a simple red primer followed by a sepia ink wash and a little highlight. It wasn't till the unit was finished that I was happy with them, just not used to a red primer for historical figures. For added contrast I went for a blue flag.


What this does mean though is that the infantry component for Newcastle is now complete, with all 7 divisions ready to take the field. L to R, Rear rank - Kirkbride and Gerlington, Middle rank - Langsdale, Lamplugh and Byron, Front rank - Newcastle and Widdrington.



Now I just need to crack on with the Horse, just 9 regiments to go. I already have 1 on the painting table with a further 2 being prepped. I'll then need to purchase the remaining 6 regiments. While I am awaiting these I can make a start on the Northern Association under Fairfax. I already have the 4 infantry regiments,1 commanded shotte and 2 Dragoon regiments to work on. There are also a number of artillery pieces I can use for either side.

10 comments:

  1. You made such quick work of fielding these regiments. How long did it take to paint this regiment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just took a couple of days, simple base colours and the ink wash does most of the work

      Delete
  2. You are certainly cranking through these 15mm figures Scotty (or 13.5mm if you want to be picky and buy into Warlords marketing BS!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, it certainly helps with a project in mind to add some focus

      Delete
  3. Fantastic unit and collection so far Neil. Can't wait for the cavalry and artillery to arrive... and soon at the rate you are getting through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard. Just 9 cavalry regiments to get through

      Delete
  4. Well done Neil, they are looking great.

    ReplyDelete