Wednesday 19 January 2022

Volunteers and more Beja

Slowly but surely the Colonial collection grows. First up is a unit of volunteers who fought in the Zulu war, The Newcastle mounted Rifles. They were formed in 1864 and formed part of the Auxiliary corps. 

For figures I used some of the Perry's dismounted, mounted infantry figures. They are a close enough match. Empress do produce models for them but they are in a mixed 1 foot and 1 mounted figure per pack. As I only wanted dismounted versions, out of my price range.




Now back to the Sudan and the last of my plastic Beja warriors. This gives me 4 Tribal units. They extra flag bearer will be swapped out with one of my earlier units. I also did a few more figures in the more recognisable jibbeh as the Beja began with to adopt this clothing as the war progressed.




I do have an order in with Perry for some extra rifleman to round out a unit of Jihadiyya. The figures I got from AW miniatures are too chunky to mix in. I've also picked up a unit of Egyptian foot to support some British infantry I was passed on by a club member.

8 comments:

  1. Good progress Scotty and I particularly like the Newcastle Mounted Rifles in their green uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil, you keep pecking away making steady progress. You will be ready for action soon. A gift unit from a fellow gamer? Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, a box each of Perry Brits and Afghans to paint up

      Delete