Wednesday 26 July 2023

New Project, Old Period

Well I thought it was about time I returned to fighting battles in the English Civil War. I previously did these in 28mm, but after selling most of the cavalry off, I decided to downscale. So a box and an additional sprue of Warlord's epic pike and shotte foot battalia was purchased as a start. This will give me 4 battalia of infantry, a good start for the size of battles I am looking to fight. I'm even digging out the old rules I have 'Victory without Quarter', a nice fast play system.

So which regiment to do first? Pretty easy with being a northerner, so Newcastle's Whitecoats it is. A regiment recruited from my own area. So as a test I decided to concentrate on the 'shotte'. These come in 4 strips of 10 figures, I've already replaced the plastic bases with some mdf ones. I do find strips of figures a bit fiddly to paint and these are no exception. I am though quite happy with the results.





I've now made a start on the first 2 of 4 ranks of pike. These come in 3 strips of 10 figures and 10 single figures. At some point I'll need to pick up some cavalry, commanded shotte, Dragoons and an artillery piece or 2 to round out the force. 

10 comments:

  1. They look really good Neil. Despite their size and format they appear quite detailed. Did they take long to paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, just a couple of hours actual painting time, so not too bad

      Delete
  2. Nicely done Neil, I have collected a few of the figures together to do some tests as I too am thinking of going down this scale for the ECW…but I haven’t managed to get round to them. You might have encouraged me to pull my finger out 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, they are nicely detailed figures

      Delete