Friday 20 January 2023

Tricorns at last

So Thursday at the club a couple of the lads wanted to try out the Hex based rules I have for the WSS / GNW. I willingly obliged but couldn't decide which theatre to go for, It ended up a mix as the first boxes I managed to retrieve from the shed were the French and Russians. So a bit of a cross over. As the players were all new to the rules, I went for a simple encounter battle. This allowed the players to get used to the mechanics.

As it was a training battle I didn't make many notes of what actually happened. Simple to say my poor Russian dragoons were rather mauled by rampaging Bavarian Cuirassiers. However my infantry were able to hold their own against the superior quality Bavarian and Irish infantry. Over on the left flank, Neil B and Mitch came to blows, Mitch slowly driving the Russian Dragoons back while their infantry fought each other to a stand still. 

Russian Dragoons advance

Russian Infantry on the march

Russians getting into line

Lovely blue coats of the Bavarians

Bavarian Cuirassiers

The sloe advance

Here come the French

Let's get ready to rumble

Musketry duel

Those Bavarians are hard to stop

The lines converge 

French and Russian cavalry move into position

Casualties mounting on both sides

Advance!!

French and Russians come to blows

Keep firing
After this I forgot to take any more pictures. Overall a fun game. The mechanics are simple enough for players to quickly pick up and easy enough for me to remember since I last played them pre-covid


10 comments:

  1. Some beautifully painted figures there Scotty, particularly some of the cavalry horses. I certainly understand the title of this post, as I think I have been leaving comments for two or three years, and don't think I have ever seen a tricorn wearing figure before today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. It's been too long for this collection. Need to get the other armies on the table as well

      Delete
  2. Good to see your 18th Century armies out for a game. Doubly good to the game played on a hex grid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, all liked hexes. Removes a lot of arguments when wheeling and charge distances

      Delete
  3. Great to see your figures in action Neil. It looked a great game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Ray, it was good to get them on the table

    ReplyDelete