Tuesday, 4 August 2026

'A' troop, 2nd Cavalry

In preparation for a run out of the rules next Tuesday, I completed a 4th troop of US cavalry. The mounted figures are all from Warrior miniatures and the dismounted troopers are Peter Pig, a mix of Pony Wars and ACW figures. These were leftovers from my ACW forces. At 15mm I think the ACW figures are a close enough proxy.



The guidons are home made and represent 'A' troop from the 2nd cavalry. The other three troops I have are all from the 3rd cavalry. The main reason these are a different regiments is because the figures are slightly larger than the Peter Pig figures. So going forward the 3rd cavalry will be Peter Pig and 2nd cavalry will be a mix of Warrior and Tabletop. This works for me as I'm basing the collection loosely on Crook's force at the Rosebud Creek

14 comments:

  1. More nice-looking additions Scotty - I don't know if the Plains cavalry wore kepis or not? But doesn't really matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, I think headgear was a personal choice

      Delete
    2. Headgear was often personal choice on campaign and forage cap (kepi) was worn. Your handmade guidons turned out quite nicely.

      Delete
  2. Excellent progress. From what I recall different companies had different coloured horses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had read that Custer did it for the 7th cavalry, not sure if it was just his own vanity. Also once on campaign I imagine they would take whatever replacements they could get

      Delete
  3. Great work Neil and I like those Warrior figures, look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Donnie, I've always liked Warrior miniatures, a shame they retired

      Delete