Monday 1 April 2024

Afrika Korps

So needing a bit of a break from painting ECW figures. I decided to take a little diversion and make a start on my Afrika Korps. I intend to use them for O'Group or Rapid fire re-loaded. I've picked up plenty of infantry with some support options to begin with. So first up was two Panzer IV F's. These were originally painted grey for use in What a Tanker, but would now form the start of some armoured options for my battalion.



They were undercoated in Humbrol Desert sand. I then covered in a sepia ink wash. Once that was dried they were both dry brushed with Iraqi Sand. I then finished them off with some dark grey applied with a sponge to raised areas to represent the yellow paint being worn away by the sand of the desert. Quite happy with how they turned out. Just need to apply some decals to complete them.

I also completed some test figures for the infantry. I've went with a mix of uniforms to give my DAK forces a battle worn and slightly irregular look. 





I still need to decide on the basing, but will wait until I get the rest of the infantry done and base them as a batch. I've got the next batch undercoated along with a Stug III G and 2 Panzer IIII J's. I've got a couple of orders in for some extra vehicles. 2 Panzer IV D's from Zvezda. A kubelwagon and 3 Opel blitz trucks from  Paint and Glue. Mitch is also printing me off a couple of Sdkfz 222's and some Hanomags. I also have a an un-built Tiger tank that needs putting together. Should keep me busy for a while.

8 comments:

  1. Very productive Scotty...are these 15mm or 20mm...I assume as you mentioned Zvezda, they are not 28mm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith. These are all 15mm in scale

      Delete
  2. I agree with Keith in that you are being very productive. Have you found a reasonably-priced and in-stock source for your Zvezda vehicles? Seems for a while that the models were difficult to come by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan. I pick mine up from EBay, keep my eye out for the bargains

      Delete
  3. Love ;em, I've always loved the look of the DAK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. They are definitely one of the better looking ww2 forces

      Delete
  4. Great looking tanks and troops Neil.

    ReplyDelete