Sunday 26 November 2023

A slight interruption

So a slight interruption to my plans for Marston Moor. A friend of one of the club members asked if I could paint up some of his epic ECW stuff as due to a failing eyesight and other health conditions, he would be unable to do them. At first I thought about refusing as I didn't want to burn myself out painting epic stuff. However as the Marston Moor has reached a good juncture, in that I just need to work predominantly on the Covenanters. I decided, why not. So figures were dispatched on to me with a rough outline of which regiments he wanted done, 12 in total. I just wish he hadn't given them a black undercoat. It's been years since I have, and I much prefer a brown undercoat for the epic stuff.

So a couple of weeks in and the 1st four regiments are done, at least I haven't had to base them as Simon wants to do that and add the flags. I also have a 5th regiment nearing completion. To get around the black undercoat I gave each sprue a drybrush of chocolate brown. Definitely helps with the muskets and pike. So regiments bagged up and waiting for the rest to be done.


I haven't been totally idle on the Marston Moor project. I picked up 3 more buildings from Battlescale. A 2-storey timber framed building and two wood cottages. I think the cottages are more suitable for ACW but they will mix well in a rural setting.

I've also prepped a Covenanter dragoon regiment and a couple more mounted officers that I will slip in between painting stuff for Simon.

10 comments:

  1. The buildings look good Scotty 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, I really like the battlescale stuff

      Delete
  2. Good job for helping out a friend in need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, just wish he hadn't undercoated in black

      Delete
  3. Good for you, I would definitely have re sprayed the undercoat brown is the way to go !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, stole the idea from youwhen I saw your epic stuff

      Delete
  4. Brown's a good undercoat colour, it's not so harsh as black. The building's look cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, yep brown is much better than black for an undercoat

      Delete