Friday 5 May 2023

A clash of Bronze

Being at a loose end at the club this week, myself and Mitch decided to give the Basic Impetus rules a run out using my Trojan War collection. This will likely get me inspired to get the rest of them painted up. I went with 2 pretty similar forces, A mix of heavy and light infantry supported by some skirmishers. I donated the generals by adding a hero to one of the units. So Diomedes would be facing off against Paris.

We did manage to get through 2 games in the night. Added chariots and archers for the second game. Each side claimed a victory. The rules themselves are simple and fun. They can also be quite brutal. We both enjoyed them and found by the second game we were able to easily work out the combats and cohesion tests. No game report but a few pics from the game. I didn't take many as I was too busy enjoying the games.

Battle lines close

Trojans await the Achaians

Heavy infantry prepare to clash

Achaian centre collapses with the loss of Diomedes

Brown chips represent disorder

Trojan right flank collapses

So these rules will definitely be getting another run out in the future.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have found a good set of rules Scotty, which is half the battle! Quite a few people seem to use BI, including Jon at PWJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil, great to see your Trojans out on the table and doubly pleased to see you giving BI a spin. Combat can be brutal, for sure, but games are always entertaining and fast-paced. I tend to dampen down losses a bit when I play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan. The fast pace of the rules is perfect for club nights and getting a game fought to a conclusion

      Delete
  3. Great to see that period in action!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see the troops on action. I've never had a game with my Trojan Wars figures. I could never find a set of rules I was happy with, perhaps I should look at Basic Impetus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. The Basic Impetus rules are well worth a try

      Delete