Thursday 6 August 2020

Numidian Cavalry

Fancying a change from painting Britons, I decided to complete a unit of Numidian cavalry for my Roman and Carthaginian armies. From various Infamy, Infamy battle reports I've seen, they should be very handy on the tabletop.

However, the painting of them I did not enjoy. The figures are from Warlord as part of their SPQR range. They are of that wierd plastic / resin mix. The undercoating was a chore as the paint does not spread well. Probably better to use a spray undercoat. The other issue is the horse's legs. They are quite spindly and give a lot of movement to the figure. A bit annoying when trying to paint and the figure seems to bounce around to each brush stroke. For whst should have been quite a quick paint job has taken me a week to complete. Thankfully I don't have any more to paint up.

I have also taken advantage of the sale from Newline Designs to pick up a few more Britons and some Numidian Javelinmen.

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes if I don't like the way paint is spreading on plastic figures, I'll undercoat them with matt varnish before the black undercoat proper. Seems to work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well despite the challenge they have come out well, I would be tempted to add some white to the shields to make them standout 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt. I did intend to pattern the shields, but failed as I didn't enjoy painting these

      Delete
  3. Great looking and useful cavalry, Neil.

    ReplyDelete