Thursday 31 December 2020

2020 a Review

First off, Happy New Year to everyone. Well what can you say about 2020? The pandemic has had a huge impact on everyone's life. Let's hope 2021 is an improvement.

So how did 2020 go. On the gaming front, pretty much null and void as the club has been closed since the end of February. On the painting front I have seen happy and significant upward trend on numbers painted. Every year I also hope to hit the mythical 1000 figure barrier and this year I finally did it. The various lock downs have contributed to additional painting time which did help. I was also surprised by the number of 28mm figures as my preference is for the smaller scales.

Painting Totals
15mm artillery - 4
15mm infantry - 239
15mm cavalry - 10
28mm artillery - 1
28mm infantry - 685
28mm cavalry - 63
28mm monsters - 6
28mm vehicles - 24
28mm scenic/building - 35
Total = 1067 figures.

So what have I painted this year. I had intended to try and progress my Franco Prussian war project. I eventually got going in the last quarter of the year, completing both a French and Prussian Division, I can see me continuing with these into the new year. The other project I intended to complete was my Lord of the Rings armies. The orcs were finally completed but progress stalled on the Elves, though there is more than enough for club games. I was adapting the Dragon Rampant rules for larger battles, but this was never complete after the club closed.

There were 4 projects in 28mm that I really got my teeth into. The first was WWII Germans for Chain of Command. I completed a full platoon and support options. I also spent quite a bit of time on some Winter themed terrain. Going forward with this I have some Russians, to paint up in 2021.

The next 2 projects were purely on a whim. This was both Judge Dredd and Star Wars. I really enjoyed painting these up and like the WWII project I also spent time on adding terrain, particularly buildings. These are both projects I will dip into again, especially Star Wars as I picked up the Legion boxed set.

The final project was a return to Ancients. It was the release of the Infamy, infamy rules that triggered this. This saw me complete 3 armies for the rules, Caesarian Romans, Germans and Britons. Unfortunately this coincided with the first lock down and I've never yet had a chance to play the rules. I also constructed both a British and German village for when I do get a chance to play.

So overall, very happy with the painting output, just wish I could get a game in at some point. As for 2021, as mentioned I aim to continue with the Franco Prussian and WWII stuff. I'm sure at some point there will be a return to Tricorns (can't believe I didn't paint any this year), I've picked up the Donnybrook rules so may see some skirmish action for this period. Not sure what else I'll take a fancy to, the absence of Wargame shows, particularly York where I often get seduced to new projects will be a void.

So Let's just hope 2021 brings life back to some kind of normality. Happy gaming.

6 comments:

  1. That is ojne heck of a lot of painting for the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, one of the few benefits of Lock down

      Delete
  2. A productive year 👍 I am really missing wargaming shows and really sad York is going to be missed this year 😢 let’s hope things settle down soon ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too as York was my favourite show

      Delete