Monday, 10 August 2026

Bits & pieces for Pony Wars

So another batch of figures crossed the painting desk. First up was 5 bases each of the mounted and dismounted cavalry. These will be split to form 2 more troops for the 2nd Cavalry. I'm just awaiting some command figures and extra troopers. These figures are all from Tabletop, they are a mix of US cavalry and Confederates. The dismounted figures are mainly Peter Pig.


Next up was a 3rd wagon, this one is metal from Freikorps. It's slightly smaller than the two I have from Peter Pig but will not be an issue.


I also did a couple of bases of mounted civilians. Always useful to have as they can take on the role of civilian scouts are simply guards for the mule train. There were quite a few armed civilians that accompanied Crook at Rosebud Creek. These are all Tabletop miniatures. I have enough for 2 bases of them dismounted.


The last thing I painted up was some Native American villagers. These were painted up for Robbo, it was the price for the 40 free figures he gave me. Lovely figures but I got the better of the deal I think. These are from Freikorp I think. Nice and easy to paint up and Robbo is very happy with them.


Today I received my order from Peter Pig with some more Crow Scouts, a mule handler and some buffalo. Will keep adding packs of buffalo to future orders as six don't make much of a herd. I'm also awaiting orders from Hovels and Alternative armies, these are the US cavalry command and troopers I need along with an artillery piece and limber. I also added a couple more tepees and a smoke signal set which should look good as a deployment point. In the meantime I still have plenty to paint up, a troop of US cavalry, 2 companies of US infantry, both native and 'white' villagers and enough figures for 11 bases of mounted native Americans.

I also have some ideas on expanding the collection. I quite fancy some longhorn cattle with cattlemen for the Natives to attack or perhaps some settlers with wagons moving across the prairie.

16 comments:

  1. Gosh you really are motoring up a sizable number for this period... very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brett, handy having a few days off work to get some painting done

      Delete
  2. Great looking stuff, Scott! My friend wants to start gaming this period, so I expect I'll be seeing more of it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike, I'm hoping I'll get some fun games in with this collection

      Delete
  3. Super additions Neil, must admit the covered wagon is a lovely little model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Donnie, it's a nice model and easy enough to paint once built

      Delete
  4. Splendid work on those fine additions, Neil. You've really built up a head of steam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely new troops completed Scotty, but oh dearie me, I see scope creep affecting this project in your closing sentence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, yep scale creep looks like it will be on the horizon, but first need to US cavalry and Native Americans done first

      Delete
  6. Keep this rate of production and you will be fighting battles at 1:1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, I think my wife would have something to say about that

      Delete