Sunday 24 September 2023

More progress and new figures

Lucky for me one of the club members pointed out that Alternative armies had just released 40 new ECW codes in their 15mm range. They also had 20% off so I decided to pick up some of the new cavalry to see if they matched the other ranges I have. I ordered enough for 2 regiments and a couple of brigadiers to lead them. The figures just took a week to arrive. The horses are exactly the same as the original range, the only issue is there is only a single pose and a separate one for the brigadiers.

The bundle

L to R horses - trooper and officer

The riders come in 3 different poses which is handy for a little variety and will mix in well with the Warlord and Peter Pig cavalry I have left to paint. The Brigadiers are designated as Royalist and Parlaimentarian, though easily mixed between both sides.

The troopers

Brigadiers

I'll need to do a count but think I should have enough cavalry now for another 10 or 11 regiments. Just another 10 to purchase when these are painted up.

On the painting front I experimented with a brown undercoat on a regiment of infantry, just finished them today. They still need basing. I'm not totally convinced yet. Great for saving time on the pikes and muskets, but may not cover well for coat colours. Luckily I went for a Tawny orange for this regiment so it looks fine. I'll try another regiment but go for a different coat colour, possibly a blue.




The officers still need their sashes done. Hopefully get these based up over the coming days and then crack on with some cavalry. I've got 3 regiments ready for a bit of paint. We have a game planned for a couple of weeks time to give the rules a run out.


16 comments:

  1. Your brown-coated fellas are superb! Good to see that AA cavalry fit with your PP horse. Do you combine them into the same units or keep them separate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mix them all together as they are a good size match. Adds even more variety to each unit. I only keep the Steel fist seperate as they are slightly slimmer

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I like the look of the troops, you can always go back and add color to a couple of castings. It's good that you can use two different sources for the cavalry in the long run it'll look really good. Lots of possibilities in the scale.

      Delete
    2. Cheers, I always like to mix manufacturers

      Delete
  3. I think the brown undercoat worked well, must have saved a lot of time, with all those pikes and muskets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, I think it halved the painting time

      Delete
  4. The undercoat works superbly well. The test might be when you use a cold colour like blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Richard, I'm definitely going for blue in the next batch

      Delete
  5. Nice stuff all around Scotty! Our mate Andrew (who lives on what he earns painting figures in NZ - so in other words, a pretty good painter) always undercoats white then applies a watery wash of dark brown - then dry brushes the real colours onto the figures - and they look pretty damn fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Keith, an interesting idea to try for the next batch

      Delete
  6. Good stuff Neil. The brown undercoat is quicker but gives a darker overall figure requiring more colour on the highlights. As always it’s a balance. Interested to see the cavalry scale comparison 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, think I prefer the brown undercoat as I hated painting the pikes

      Delete