Monday 30 December 2013

A look ahead to 2014

After my last post it is time to try and set myself some wargaming goals for 2014. My main aim is that I want to play more games. When it comes to my wargaming hobby I am a gamer first, I get most of my enjoyment from this side of the hobby, pitting my wits against my opponent, seeing a battle unfold etc. The painting of figures and scenery building has always been a secondary part of the hobby. Compared to some figures I see in blog world,  I know my skills in these areas are only modest but sufficient for my needs. However this can often mean a lull in painting when I am not gaming.

So far sometime in May I will have a trip up to Mick's for a re-fight of the Battle of Ramillies, though there will probably be an earlier game to refresh ourselves on the rules and iron out anomalies. I am really looking forward to this as the War of Spanish Succession is a period that is my first love. I am also making it an aim to get down to the club more often.

So on to projects for 2014.

15mm Napoleonics - I want to complete enough troops for both the Austrians and Westphalians to allow me to run some divisional level games at the club. This will equate to an extra brigade of infantry for each side with some supporting artillery and cavalry.

15mm FPW - Once again I am aiming to try and get the Bavarians up to corps strength. I know Mick is painting up the Saxons and with a possible large game at the end of the year would give this project some impetus.

10mm Crimean War - I need to complete 1 more Russian infantry division and some cavalry. That would finish the Russian Order of Battle for Alma. I also have a hankering to painting up a Turkish infantry division.

15mm WSS - The Friedlingen project needs a bit of a kick start this year, I really would like to get it finished, so much so I am going to draw up a painting plan as I did for Ramillies for the required troops. This will give me a progress check and provide some focus for my efforts.

Well you may have noticed that 28mm is missing from my list of projects. This is mainly because I can no longer justify the costs of new projects in this scale. This does not mean I will paint none, I am sure some will cross the painting table but mainly for skirmish gaming or to top up some existing collections. I already have large collections in 28mm for VBCW, F&IW, El Cid, Arthurians, Late Romans, Germanics and Huns.

No doubt I will not stick to this, I never seem to as always something new and shiny will grab my attention.

All that is left is to wish you all a Happy New Year and may the dice Gods bless you in 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, some projects are realy interesting to me (especially 15mm!)...see you in 2014!
    Best,
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers guys, all the best for 2014

    ReplyDelete