Monday 30 January 2012

A bit of nostalgia

One of the first ancient armies I put together as a young lad over 20 years ago was a 15mm Later Hoplite Greek DBA force. Why post them now, well in March Mick is putting on a Greek vs Persian game in 15mm. Dave and Neal are putting together the Greeks while Mick will be supplying the Persians. It was at this point that I had these gentlemen sitting at the bottom of a box, spears bent or broken, bases unfinished (you get the idea). I decided that I could offer them as additional support which was gratefully accepted by Neal and Dave. It did take a bit of work to replace all the lead spears with steel ones and re-base the units. I couldn't bring myself to repaint them, just a bit of touching up to cover the chips. Now compared to my painting of today these are way of pace, however it is nice to look back and see how my painting has evolved.

The Hoplites

Psiloi to the front

Peltasts

Battle line
The figures I believe are all Essex, still not bad even by today's standards. Ive still got a couple of bases of Psiloi and a base of Cavalry to put together to finish my small force.

5 comments:

  1. They look fine for 20 year old figs, although my heads hurting now, trying to refocus on the real world, he he!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only agree with the words of Ray. These are some fine painted figures for that age!

    @Ray: to much headbanning yesterday :-D

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll also go with Ray on his opinion in regards to the painting. DBA rules wise isn't my favourite, but it's nice for collecting armies because of the low figure count and games are quick to play.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words.
    @ Christopher, I agree DBA wasn't great but was ideal for a youngster to complete armies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely army! Thanks for sharing!
    Regards
    derFigurenschieber

    ReplyDelete