Sunday 6 September 2009

Pol Lentia - Alcudia

While on my holidays I came across the roman ruins of Pol lentia in Alcudia Majorca. Totally unexpected for me, considering where I live is in easy reach of Hadrians wall, Chester fort, Housesteads, Segedunum to name a few.

Pol Lentia was founded following the conquest of the island by the consul Qintus caecilius Metellus in 123BC. it underwent large urban development between the 1st century BC and 3rd century AD partially due to its strategic location. It became the most important city in the Balearics during the Roman period. Ive added a few photos that i managed to take before I had to retreat to the shade. Unfortunatly I didn't get a chance to visit the museum which contains 2 1/100th scale models of the site. i must admit the visit to the site has got me in the mood to dust doen my Late Roman army, I'll possibly post some pictures of them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment