Tuesday 12 October 2021

Colonial Madness

Well it had to happen, after a few messages back and forth with club members we all committed to putting together some Colonial forces using The who would be Kings rules from Osprey. We all agreed to also collect some natives that we could combine for use in our own fictitious setting. Also to keep costs down, most figures will be plastic.

I decided to base my force around a Naval landing party supported by local troops. The plan is for 3 companies of Royal marines, a company of sailors support by either a gatling gun or an artillery piece. The local troops will provide some irregular foot and cavalry and possibly a native unit. I will mainly be using Zulu war figures, though there are a few extras thrown in as I had the figures spare.

So first up is 'A' company of the Royal marines. These are mainly Warlord plastic figures. There are 3 command figures from Perry's Sudan range, not for the purists as a later period, but close enough for me. The last figure is from Foundry's Darkest Africa range. He will be replaced by a regular trooper as he moves to command 'B' company.



The second company completed is some local troops. I've used some Boers from Blacktree miniatures that I  already had. They just needed re-basing.



I do have 3 painted mounted troopers that I can put towards an eight man unit. I've ordered some command figures from Perry's and will pick up 2 troopers from Northstar to complete the unit.

As I also committed to some Natives, I've went for the Nile warriors from Perry's Sudan range. One of the chaps already has thousands of Zulu's. Ive already picked up 1 box and a spare sprue. A second box will give me 6 units, 1 of irregulars armed with shoddy muskets and 5 groups of Tribal warriors.  Enough to keep me going over the winter months.

10 comments:

  1. I smiled at all the completed units, but the comment that the other guy has thousands of Zulus already says how much fun the games will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, can't wait to get a game in. The rules seem fun and perfect for a club night

      Delete
  2. TMWWBK are a fun rule set - I have had a couple of games several years ago with my occasional gaming partner Andrew. Colonial is a great era for skirmish gaming too - in fact, its probably much better as a skirmish level game - a large pitched battle in most cases should see the natives wiped out at log range eg Omdurman (although there is always Islandwhana - but we Brits dont like to mention that too often....!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the hope. Just got to get the forces finished to get a game in

      Delete
  3. Nice work and a collaborative project means not too much to paint. My problem is I always want to paint and collect both I sides in full !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, it does not pay to be away from checking other's blogs for long. Last time that I looked you were deep in the Spanish Civil War. Since then you have played games over three(?) different periods, refurbished your Austrians and now these lovely colonial troops. That is impressive!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I enjoy a variety of games and periods

      Delete