Saturday 19 October 2019

General D'Armee, Austrians vs French

Thursday at the club pitted my Austrians defending a ridge against some marauding French. I had 2 small infantry brigades with a mix of Jaegers, Line and Landwehr. They were supported by a small cavalry brigade of 2 Hussar regiments. The French had 2 large infantry brigades supported by some Hussars and Lancers.

To say the game was a disaster for my Austrians is an understatement. When my artillery couldn't hit a barn door, they became low on ammo. My Jaegers on the left got pounded by the enemy. When the enemy charged my closing fire missed. In fact most of my infantry lost Fire discipline which is not good when outnumbered and trying to defend. Still a very enjoyable game.

Austrian left wing
Austrian center
Desultory fire against French skirmishers
Casualties start to mount
Right wing under pressure
Jaegers forced back
Uh oh, 41st regiment about to run
Struggle on the left
French assault repelled
It was nice to get the Austrians on the table again. The game did seem to flow more than previous games. I put that down to less cavalry, which seem to dominate club games and leave little time for the infantry.


12 comments:

  1. When fortune is against you, it is tough to win especially when commanding Austrians. Goods to see Napoleonics on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sure my dice didn't have 4,5 or 6s on them

      Delete
  2. Some games can be just 'ooops' hope fortune smiles on you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Austrian troops are so beautiful on our tables, great looking game Neil...even with bad dice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We rally should organise a large game at Micks, Tom has a huge 15mm collection Scotty.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like you were Kaiser-licked! :-)
    Better dice next time!

    ReplyDelete