Sunday, 17 June 2018

GNW Russians and review

Over the last couple of nights I finally finished the basing on 2 more infantry battalions from the Novogorodski regiment. The figures are all Roundway with the exception of 2 Dixon officers.

After completing these I am now contemplating how many more Russians do I need. Mick already has enough Russians to re-fight Poltava so that isn't the goal. Now for campaign games I need between 10-15 horse regiments and 20-30 infantry battalions with a couple of artillery batteries to support. So it was time to get them all out the box too see where I am at.

First up is the 10 battalions that make up the Auxiliary corps that fought alongside the Saxons at Fraustadt.

Next is the main core of my infantry. 4 Guard battalions, 6 Grenadier battalions and 8 musketeer battalions. These are supported by 2 medium artillery batteries.

The mounted arm currently consists of 12 squadrons of Horse Grenadiers fielded as 4 regiments and 5 regiments of Dragoons.

The Russian army
Going through my lead pile I can put together 2 more Dragoons regiments. 2 Grenadiers battalions, 4 musketeer battalions and a light artillery battery. Do I need anymore? probably not as I can add 3 regiments of Cossacks and 2 Cossacks infantry battalions. Then i can turn my attention to another protagonist of the Great Northern War, The Ottoman Turks.

Tuesday, 12 June 2018


After adding an infantry battalion I decided to add another cavalry regiment to my Swedes. These guys have sat part painted for too long and needed finishing.

I chose the Norra Skane regiment as it fought in most of the major engagements during the Poland campaign. Seeing action at Pultusk 1703, Posen 1704, Fraustadt and Kalisz 1706 before meeting its fare with the rest of the army at Poltava in 1709.

The figures are all from the Dixon range and make up 6 squadrons. I still need to finish the pennant. Trying to pluck up the courage to paint it free hand.

Saturday, 9 June 2018

GNW Russians XIV

Managed to get around to completing this last unit of Russian Dragoons. They represent the Koporski regiment. The figures are all from Roundway. Excuse the flag as it came out all wrong and I'm in the process of correcting it.

I also completed a few more brigadiers and a Line commander. Again the figures are all Roundway.

I'm now awaiting an order from Roundway so that I can complete 2 more Dragoon regiments. I also have enough figures to bring 2 of my mounted Grenadiers up to full strength.  Including cossacks, that will be 50 squadrons. More than enough for club games.

I will also be able to add another 6 infantry battalions and a light gun battery.  I will then need to source a few suitable figure the represent Peter the Great.

Saturday, 2 June 2018

GNW Swedes VII

It's been a long time since I added to my Swedish forces for the Great Northern War. What with concentrating lately on the Russians and before that the Poles, the army was feeling slightly neglected. I still have 12 squadrons of partially painted Swedish horse that stare back at me on the painting table and have done for over a year. So what did I add, yep another infantry battalion. The aforesaid cavalry will have to wait.

I decided to add a 4th Baltic states infantry battalion. This time Liewen's regiment. Once again I went for plain grey coats. Figures are all from Roundway miniatures.

IR Liewen
IR Liewen

Now this left me with a slight problem when it came to storage. I hadn't realised the box for the Swedes was already full.

Will become more of an issue when I eventually paint up those cavalry.

Monday, 28 May 2018

GNW Russians XIII

Finally back onto the GNW project. This time I've put together the 6 squadrons of Van der Ropps horse Grenadiers. The figures are all from Dixon's. My sources only mentioned the red coats so I took an educated guess on green cuffs and lining.

This brings me up to 12 squadrons of Horse Grenadiers for the Russians. Now I do have another 30+ figures so could fill the other 2 regiments out up to 6 squadrons, only issue being mixing the Dixon figures into units of Roundway and Warrior. Well got plenty of infantry and some Swedes to do before I need to decide.

I also added to my book collection for the GNW. Both books from Helium & Company. I do have a 3rd on pre order for the Swedish army.

Can't wait to get into these.

Sunday, 20 May 2018

Tanks and more Tanks

After our first game of What a Tanker on Thursday I decided to crack on and paint up a few more tanks. They are all plastic kits from Zvezda. I've been picking up random kits from EBay.

First up are some Russian Tanks, 2 T34s and 2 BT5s. I decided to have a go at winter camo. I was looking for the more scruffy look rather than pure white to reflect how the white wash got worn through use and the green showed through. These were done with a simple white base coat, then using a fanned brush lightly dry brushed on the green. Not the greatest models but I'm happy with them.

Russian tanks
T34 test model
The other kit I picked up was a Panther. A bit more tricky to put together but a lovely model. I went for the classic late war colour scheme.

This brings me up to 7 models. Will need a few more as now I've checked through the campaign section I need some Valentine's, T26s and Panzer 38t's.

German and Russian tanks
Already looking forward to the next game.

Friday, 18 May 2018

What a Tanker!

Thanks to George at the club for  loaning us the use of some of his WW2 collection, we got in our first game of What a Tanker. We pitted 2 Shermans against 2 Panzer IVs. We kept the scenario simple as we just wanted to focus on learning the rules.

The game saw 1 of the Sherman's get boxed in and taken out, but not before surviving a few scares and comedy moments as the Panzers got into great firing positions then couldn't hit a barn door at 10 pages. Already looking forward to next week's game where I can get my own tanks on the table.