Saturday 2 March 2013

In search of Marlborough

John Churchill the Duke of Marlborough, probably Britain's greatest General. I know he is my favourite, so with the chance to paint up the English and Scottish regiments for Ramilles I had the chance to paint up the great man himself to lead them. Finding a suitable figure has proved slightly problematic. There is a particular figure in the Generals pack from Essex that looks suitable, but I dislike ordering single packs due to postage costs. I do know that Mini Figs do a figure for Marlborough, but there are no pictures on their site, a shame these days. So trawling the Internet I remembered Irregular do a range of serviceable figures. So I decided to order a couple of their Generals and an artillery battery to justify the postage costs.

So far I have done 2 versions. The first is accompanied by a spare kettle drummer I had, while the other is with a Cornet, took inspiration from the old Osprey cover of Marlborough's army.


As can be seen the Irregular figure is a little rough but paints up okay. Now I can't decide which I like best . So here are a few extra pictures of each.







Now the more I look at these, I'm happy enough with them, but....they are not quite right for me. I think will continue my search, these chaps look like they will be getting relegated to the role of Divisional commanders. Also I would like to try and get a figure to represent one of Marlboroughs' runners, though not sure if anyone out there makes one, may have to try a conversion, but I hate doing that with 15mm figures.

As an aside I did manage to paint up the artillery as well. My only complaint was one of the gunners snapped at the ankles when I removed him from the painting stick. Luckily I had a spare Roundway figure to press into service.



4 comments:

  1. Scotty - check out Black Hat Miniatures for the runners...I have some in my collection and they're very nice...

    http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_161&products_id=1627&osCsid=5f9a977342b25d97f8e0efe9f11378f9

    He also does some Generals that may be worth picking up at the same time... the faces are always very expressive..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Steve, I'll check them out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scotty - these look very nice... and I know waht you mean about postage costs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the drummer, I think?

    ReplyDelete