Friday, 7 August 2026

US Infantry and extras

The Infantry played a significant role in the Pony wars, garrisoning the frontier forts and supporting the cavalry. Looking at the Order of battle for Rosebud creek, there were 5 companies present, so I needed to paint some up. These are 'A' company from the 9th US Infantry. The figures are all from Friekorps. I've kept them to my standard 5 bases for a unit.



After these were done I realised I had run out of the appropriate bases for both the cavalry and native Americans. I had painted up 6 mounted warriors for the natives. So I switched tack and added another wagon and some casualty figures as I'll need these for the game (I even ran out of these bases) I still have the eight for the Native Americans to base.


With a game against Mitch on Tuesday to work through the rules he asked to see what he would be commanding so I took the opportunity to photograph the completed figures so far for both sides.

US cavalry column

Native Americans


Lakota and Oglala warriors

With a larger game planned for Thursday I am painting up two more companies of US infantry, I also have the loan of part of Robbo's collection, providing another three troops of US cavalry and 20 bases of Native Americans. Should be a good couple of games.

To further expand the collection I have the following for the Native Americans, 6 more bases of cavalry, villagers, 2 more Tepees, casualty figures and a smoke signal set. For the US army I have 2 more troops of cavalry, 2 more companies of infantry, a wagon, 5 more bases of Crow scouts, armed civilians and more casualty figures. Should keep me busy over the next few weeks.

10 comments:

  1. Great and speedy work, Scotty! I think the only person on Blogger who paints top quality figures quicker than you is old mate Dean over at WAB Corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing motivates painting as much as having one or two games on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, it certainly helps focus my efforts

      Delete
  3. That's a fabulous parade that you have produced in swift time. Congratulations.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete